Sunday, June 28, 2009

Where are the rains????

That's the question everybody is asking now! I m so astounded at seeing a clear blue sky in June end! How can that ever happen? June, for people like me who were born and brought up in coastal karnataka is a dark wet and humid month .  But this is the first time I am seeing so less rainfall here.  And if it rains less here, I don't know what will happen in the arid plains above the ghats. . We really underestimate our dependence on monsoon rains . Since in South India rivers also require adequate rains the situation looks much more concerning.  It looks as if nature skipped a season. .

Although we say we are very advanced and all still this situation is showing how still we are so dependent on nature. All the reservoirs have dried up. Means no water , no electricity from next week . . Two of the most basic needs of 21st century. . Now all that can be done is to wait and pray for rains. Weathermen say its going to rain next week but I don't think they are reliable. They lost their credibility when they predicted this time its going to rain in early may! But hope remains that some how the situation will turn normal.  

P.S.  I asked my grand pa when was the last time he had seen a situation like this. He told me it was the end of 70's when the rains didn't come in June like this . . Now that’s 30 years ago!  

No comments:

Post a Comment